The tax man cometh...If you haven’t already, Georgia homeowners will be receiving a “notice of assessment” from the county you reside in. This love letter advises you of the value that the county assessor will use to determine your property tax. Needless to say, the current real estate market is chaotic, it would be prudent to check your assessment and appeal if warranted.
Here’s what you need to know:
* Each year the county tax assessor states a property value for your home which they will use to calculate property taxes.
* Current values for properties in Georgia can be researched off the county assessor site. For convenience, here’s the aggregate site for Georgia - https://qpublic.net/ga/gaassessors/index.html#CCOUNTY
*You may obtain appeal deadlines and assessed values for other counties by searching the county name and tax assessor online (above).
* If the property has been sold, either the seller who owned the property as of January 1, 2021 or the buyer who currently owns the property may appeal.
* No taxes are due at this time, 2021 tax bills will be sent out later this year but your time to object to the value is now – you cannot wait until the bill comes out!
* All appeals must be filed within 45 days from the date of the Notice of Assessment.
Each web site will contain information about how to appeal, what is required and time tables to file an appeal. If you decide to appeal, make certain to understand exactly what is required and how the county conducts the process. Some counties are much more straightforward than others.
If you want help with this process, our partners at Campbell and Brannon have a team that can provide assistance. For assistance, visit their website https://www.campbellandbrannon.com/practice-areas/property-tax-appeal/ or give them a call at 404-924-7040. You can also email them at firstname.lastname@example.org
Remember, additional tax savings can be had by filing the Homestead Exemption; that opportunity will come up at the start of the new year. As always, please don’t hesitate to call or email us with any questions or concerns.
The Hank Miller Team puts 30+ years of full time sales & appraisal experience to work for you. Act with complete confidence & make sound, decisive real estate decisions. 678-428-8276 and email@example.com
Posted by Hank Miller on